Sunday, December 2, 2007

Checking Out? Dont Even Think About It.


The other night I watched a documentary on Assisted Suicide. I honestly cant believe I watched the entire show. It was sad, shouldve come with a warning. A man who had a terminal illness for sometime, decided with his wife to fly to the Netherlands and end it all. They actually showed him accomplishing his goal. Terribly sad. I just dont understand. He knew his condition was terminal for a long time. Why did'nt he end his life on his own before the paralysis set into his hands? Instead he chose to spend a big chunk ofhis life savings, make his wife part of the process, seek out a doctor over seas to help him do a deed that is illegal, in his home country. Another couple on the show wanted to die together thru assisted suicide, but were fortunately turned down. He did have a heart condition, but was not terminal, and absolutely nothing wrong with his wife, she just didnt want to live without him.

On a side note. At the end of the show, apparently in the Netherlands now you can be assesed and granted Assisted Suicide for any reason at all now. That has saddened me greatly. No reason at all. Very Spooky. Very Sad. From my point of view it is also very wrong. Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

5 comments:

Magdalen Islands said...

I'm not into the dying scene at all and certainly wouldn't think about putting someone I love through all that trauma. I don't know if I disagree with it assisted suicide, but there has to be a reason to involve someone else, so I don't agree with the Netherlands policy either. I think it is a very selfish act for the person dying to do, unless his or her death accomplishes something good for one or more living souls. For example if the person was totally helpless and all but a vegetable, wanted his family to benefit from his life savings, instead of taking it and everything that the family could come by, to prolong his/her life, then I hesitant on the right/wrong of the situation.

Deirdre said...

Hey Magdalen. I am just not for assisted suicide at all. Probably because morally i feel its selfish and wrong. Deirdre

Head Cookie said...

Oh Dee that is just too sad. Noboday should be granted that. Life is very rewarding. You take the good and you take the bad.

Deirdre said...

Right on Jadey. D.

mutters said...

Hey Deirdre,

Sorry it took so long to get here. Nice place - the beach in the top pic looks a bit like parts of the Irish coast, i.e. windswept and cold hoho.

To the issue: forgive my bluntness, D (but you should know me by now!) but you say it's wrong; I say, "who are you, who is anyone to tell me I can't end it if I want?"
I've written a bit on this very subject - on my blog - entitled Euthanasia, unsurprisingly.

I for one hope when the end comes for me, that it's quick - that I don't suffer a lingering death while the pompous scholars debate the ethics of it. Wankers. And I wouldn't wish this sort of end (pain-filled, lingering) on anyone I like. Plenty of people I don't I'd glady subject to it (y'listenin Angelo, y'woman-beating piece o shit!).
Anyway, as I say, nice place, D. Hope you're keepin well - the family and Rusty and, Jeez, what was the other one's name...?

Mutters and Scoob say woof!
Later,

M